Friday, June 13, 2008

An Introduction

Before I tell you what we were up to though I think it’s time to meet the Vernals. We lived in Christchurch, New Zealand where I was a stay at home Mum. A stay at home Mum who found it extremely hard to actually stay at home. Hence Monday to Friday was a whir of music groups, play group, kindy and coffee dates. Any spare moment I got was usually spent writing, watching Coronation Street or attempting Pilates. The latter being a desperate bid to reduce my mid thirties spread. A spread I feel would be reduced a lot faster if I stopped putting the king size bar of chocolate in the trolley each week but hey enough about me! My husband Paul looks a little like Paul Hogan in his Crocodile Dundee days and although Ronan Keating has also been bandied about I personally think he’s got a look of Sting about him. Despite his good looks however, Paul can’t act or sing and he is actually a painter and decorator by trade, landlord / property developer on the side and hands on Dad to our two sons.

Paul and I met 10 years ago across a crowded Christchurch bar when he was on crutches due to a nasty moped accident in Thailand. My parents maintain that the only reason I snared such a good-un is because he couldn’t physically get away. By the time he’d handed the crutches back into the hospital however I had convinced him it was love and we set off on our big OE. Tripping hand in hand around such romantic hot-spots as Venice, Prague and Rome etc I held my breath waiting for his magical proposal. By the time I actually received it, on his 30th birthday in Bad Bob’s Bar in Dublin, I‘d very nearly combusted. I managed to say yes though and 26 countries later we came home got married and started our family.

Joshua arrived in 2004 with Daniel following closely behind in 2005. Suffice to say that having our two boys has been our biggest adventure yet. However there is one bug that we have never gotten over since the boys arrived and that is the travel bug. With Josh turning four in January and Daniel a robust toddler we decided to make 2008 our gap year.

As of the 1st of February 2008 our home was permanently tenanted by university students. Students we hope are members of the Chess Club and not the Frat pack. We upped sticks and moved into my parents relocated, work in progress, two bedroom plus sunroom, bungalow in Oxford. For those of you who haven’t popped out for a coffee at Jo Seagar’s café lately, the Experience Oxford website describes Oxford as ‘a small country town known for its tranquil rural setting’. It states that the town boasts a residential population of approximately 2000 – well they can now make that 2004. Oh and they also might want to re-think their choice of wording. I have a feeling tranquil may no longer apply now that my two boys are in town.

Now you might think that landing ones family on ones, never see 60 again, parents is a bit on the nose well you can rest easy. My Mum and Dad assured me that what goes around comes around. This comment was usually followed up by a smirk in the direction of my sons. Of course we didn’t just moving into their home to strengthen the bond between grandchildren and grandparents - we actually needed a base camp. Our gap year is about having the freedom to come and go. From Oxford to Aussie to Chile to Argentina to Uruguay – you’re welcome to join us. Oh and by the way, my ears are closed to sniggers from anyone who has attempted long distance, time difference travel with preschoolers!

No comments: